Tuesday, February 2, 2010

4 Quarters: The Music, Volume 1

If you read this, than you'd have to be somewhat blind to not notice that I've also been pimping my radio show, 4 Quarters, pretty heavily.

I'm having a lot of fun doing it so far, but I am far from a finished product on the radio. Of course, that's the best reason to be doing the show, for practice and training.

I've tried to record the first three episodes for podcasts, but through assorted operator errors and technical problems (okay, more of the former than the latter), I've managed to get the first 80 minutes of episode 3 recorded, and nothing else. Bah.

But, for those who haven't heard an explanation of the show's format, we (myself and my co-hosts Joseph and Bobby) divide the two hours into four segments separated by breaks mandated by the station. During those breaks, we play promos for the station's other shows, PSA's, etc. We separate ourselves from the other sports shows by incorporating music into our breaks, with a tremendous blend of genres and time periods.

Hence the point of this post. To get a feel for the kind of stuff we've been playing over the first three episodes, I'll present the 12 songs that have graced our breaks. If you'd like to listen to any of them, I highly recommend Grooveshark. Just click this link, and once Grooveshark loads, just enter the artist's name and look for the song.

If there's a Rhapsody link next to a song, that means it's not currently on Grooveshark, and you can go to Rhapsody to listen to it.

Clicking on song titles will take you to Amazon, where you can download the song. Clicking on artists will allow you to download the entire album on which the mentioned song appears.

Episode 1:
1st Intermission: "(Don't) Give Hate a Chance" by Jamiroquai (This one was actually a last-minute substitution when the computer lost connection in mid-tune. I had to quickly pick something off of our touchscreen menu, and settled on Jay Kay and his hat. Not a bad choice, all in all.)
Halftime: "White Knuckles" by OK Go
3rd Intermission: "Giving Up the Gun" by Vampire Weekend
Postgame: "Creative Juices" by Har Mar Superstar (Rhapsody)

Episode 2:
1st Intermission: "Counseling" (Clean Version) by Clipse feat. Nicole Hurst (Rhapsody...I introduced this one as "Tiger's Theme"...listen and you'll hear why.)
Halftime: "Ride On" by Parliament
3rd Intermission: "Fallin' and Flyin'" by Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell (From the Crazy Heart soundtrack)
Postgame: "Something I Do" by Robert Earl Keen (Rhapsody)

Episode 3:
1st Intermission: "I'm In Miami Trick" by LMFAO (A love song from me and Joseph, the show's resident Colts fans, to all the Steelers/Cowboys/Patriots/other obnoxious fanbases who might be wondering where our team can be found this Super Bowl weekend.) (Note: single download is clean version, album download is NOT)
Halftime: "Let the Madness Begin" by Fozzy (fronted by WWE Superstar Chris Jericho, pictured above)
3rd Intermission: "Romance is Boring" by Los Campesinos!
Postgame: "Stella the Artist" by David Gray

So, there you have it. Makes for sort of an interesting playlist, don't it? I know I have fun digging through the "crates," as it were.

One of these days, I'll be getting a full show recorded and put up for podcast, hopefully at Blip.tv. Rest assured that everyone checking Facebook, Twitter, and this blog will hear about it as soon as the first show (er, fourth show) is online.

Otherwise, I assure you that it'll be worth your time to go to WMTS.org and click on the headphones to listen live every Tuesday Noon to 2 Central...if only to hear what we'll be playing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment